A regular day in Russia

Oh man. There is so much to catch up on our Russian adventure. We arrived home in America this weekend, and the first thing I started worrying about was losing all those little details that we had. In an effort to really soak in all that we experienced, I'm writing out some stories from our summer in St. Petersburg.

I'm going to start with what a regular sort of day was like for us in our little chilly corner of the world.

So here you go: a day in Russia.

Every morning, Taylor's cell phone alarm goes off. Every morning, I wake up instantly irritated with anything that has a face and/or makes noises. Usually I'll wrap myself back into a ball and go back to sleep, while Taylor gets on being the productive soul that he is. He is amazing.

Around 8:30 AM,  we hear Arrow fussing in her crib. She rarely cries when she first wakes up, which is super nice of her ;) One of us will "rescue the chub" (that's what we call fetching the baby) and bring her to cuddle. Arrow is not a cuddly baby. As soon as her eyes adjust to the light, then she wriggles out of our arms, and goes straight to exploring. Exploring usually means opening the bedroom cupboards and dumping out the contents.While the baby is busy, Taylor and I get ready for the day and eat breakfast. We have to wait to eat until Arrow is awake, since her crib is in the kitchen. Every day, breakfast is Russian oatmeal with a yogurt cup that costs 9 roubles (about 20 cents in USD).

At 10:00, Arrow goes down for nap; we work on film stuff. Clarification: we work on our video projects until one of the spouses gets distracted and wants to talk about how cute the baby is. The other spouse politely ignores distracted spouse for as long as he can. This goes on until about noon, when the baby wakes up, and it's time for lunch.

Lunch is usually plain bread and a slice of cheese. Taylor and I chat some more, and then finalize the plans for the afternoon.

Around 2 PM, we realize that we were supposed to leave an hour ago, but now it's time for second nap. Arrow takes nap for two hours. On the days we actually left on time, we're out in St Petersburg visiting historical sites.

This was sunset... around 11:30 PM
Around 5 PM, we are homeward bound for dinner. Usually Taylor cooks. By usually, I mean I can't remember a time when he didn't do the cooking this summer. Have I mentioned he's amazing? We often eat borscht or biscuits.

After dinner, the family splits to do their own thing. Arrow is 10 months old, but she can run now. Which is becoming more terrifying every day.Finally, the blessed hour of 9:00 PM comes, and we have our night time traditions (back here)

There you go. Simple day in Russia.

I thought coming back to America would be really, really hard. Namely because our morning routine changed from 8 AM to five in the morning. Part of me likes it because the idea of being an early morning person sounds really attractive. The realistic part of me knows that when next morning, I will be a very unhappy camper. I'm a firm believer that if the sun isn't even awake, then neither should we. 

Funny how things like school and work are fairly good at making you do nonsensical things.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, questions, concerns, religious inquiries? Share below!